Comments on "Chicago Downtown"

Das Forum befindet sich im reduzierten Betrieb. Die Addon- und Supportforen bleiben weiterhin verfügbar.
Bitte beachte, dass OMSI nicht mehr weiterentwickelt wird. Ein Teil der Entwickler widmet sich inzwischen der Entwicklung eines neuen Simulators. Weitere Informationen zum LOTUS-Simulator findest Du hier.
  • That defines the wheels' original point. You would have to move the model file in Blender in order to move it. Whatever the coordinates of your new wheels are, enter those same X,Y, and Z coordinates in the .cfg file.

I am actually not the one making them, a friend is.

But this information is good to know for future reference. Thanks.

• Hi Darius,

I don't mean to be a bother but,

I gave him these coordinates and he stated that these coordinates are only for one wheel?

He said he would need the coordinates for the other wheels as well. I'm assuming the rear wheels.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

• The two buses are great. However, the 40ft bus is way too underpowered for use on any other map (unless it is flat) Is the bus like this in real life?

The short answer is yes, but to better answer the question, I took one of these buses to Poland.

:P

I drove one of these buses on the wonderful Projekt Szczecin map*, and in particular, an incline on the 63 route at Artyleryjska. I drove to the bus stop there, then attempted to drive onward, toward Skolwin. The only way I could do this though was to set the parking brake, rev up the engine, then while doing so, release the brake. Inspecting the incline in the editor revealed that the incline at the Skolwin-bound bus stop at Artyleryjska is 8% (1 in 12.5). I wasn't able to go faster than 25 km/h until the incline began to level off. Keep in mind this was with an empty bus!

I then considered a real-world example of bus operations on steep inclines, in particular steep inclines on bus routes I've traveled on. The Bx9 route in New York City has an example of such a steep incline between Heath Avenue and Sedgwick Avenue on Kingsbridge Road in The Bronx. Here, the elevation of the road changes by 39 meters in a distance of about 400 meters.

Here is video of a particular trip aboard a bus on the Bx9 route. The bus used is a New Flyer D60HF, an older high-floor diesel variant of the DE60LF included with the Chicago add-on. Watch the speed (if you want to call it that) of the bus, and the sound of the engine as the bus makes its way up.

New Flyer Artic #5281 Bx9 Bus Ride on West Kingsbridge Road

So yeah, if you send the bus up a steep incline, it's going to struggle a bit.

* I know the Tettau map has some steeper inclines (up to 15% according to posted signs), but the thought of negotiating those narrow winding roads in the D40LF made me dizzy.

EDIT (2015/08/10): Drove the D40LF in Tettau. Do not recommend it, especially on the 8342. While climbing the mountain to Kronach, full throttle, the bus actually started going backwards, down the incline. Had to drive swerving back and forth across the road in order to keep climbing, and even then, it wasn't going faster than 10 km/h at full throttle until the road leveled off a bit. There was another point on the 8343 where I managed to get the bus going 70 mph downhill, only to slow to 10 mph by the top of the next upward incline, again, full throttle the whole time.

• Darius,

My friend and I are working on a small project and we need your help, as you remodeled the script. We are trying to redesign the lights so that they come on with the doors only. Can you help us, as we tried, but didn't get far, as we turned off the lights completely. The video should explain the rest.

[Externes Medium: https://youtu.be/1VaKhDuRnS4]

• I haven't played this map for some time but must say it is nice just wish it had more routes? Any further development for this map at all Darius?

I'm used to fictional maps with like 4 night lines and about 10 day routes

Routes 7 and 126 (PDF) would be good candidates, as both routes serve areas already covered in this map. However, as for night routes, only Line 20 goes anywhere nearby (on Madison, a few blocks north of Jackson).

Routes 7 and 126 are housed at Kedzie Garage, just as the 124 and 130 are, but the 20 is housed at Chicago Garage, 1 mile west and 1.1 miles north (approx. 1.5 miles as the pigeon flies) of Kedzie.

Then again, anything beyond the existing routes would be a tremendous undertaking, as there's nothing modeled between Kedzie Garage and Downtown, except for the neighborhood immediately surrounding the garage and what's visible from the Congress Expressway, though Blue Line stations at Kedzie-Homan, California (abandoned/disused), Western, Damen-Paulina (Illinois Medical District), Racine, and UIC-Halsted seem to have been omitted, including a highly visible ramp connecting the Blue and Pink "L" lines just east of Illinois Medical District station (the ramp starts at Loomis (1400W), rises and passes over Ashland (1600W), then curves to meet the Pink line west of Paulina (1700W).

Some folks on a Chicago-based message board seem to be even more nitpicky.

• Darius,

My friend and I are working on a small project and we need your help, as you remodeled the script. We are trying to redesign the lights so that they come on with the doors only. Can you help us, as we tried, but didn't get far, as we turned off the lights completely. The video should explain the rest.

[Externes Medium: https://youtu.be/1VaKhDuRnS4]

Not sure what the problem is... maybe it's easier to couple them with the door entry lights?

• We are trying to change the front lights so that they come on with the doors only, and not the headlights.

Are you talking about how when the interior lights are on, the first light behind the driver is shut off unless the front door is open?

(This reduces the intensity of the reflection of the interior lights off the windshield, helping improve the driver's ability to see the the road ahead at night.)

• To the moment where I drive past a stop where nobody is waiting and a stop was not requested, then afterward someone rings the bell and complains that I missed their stop:

No, I didn't miss your stop, YOU rang the bell too late! So if anyone missed your stop, it's YOU!

Sorry about that, I just needed to vent.

BTW, some bus drivers will give a response like this when the situation occurs IRL.

• Thanks, Lukas. I just realized that the changelog was from the end of June, not the end of July. So sorry if it sounded like I was really late.

RockinRM, so true! I just ignore that. Let me guess, that's the 124 at Wacker and State, right? That's where it happens a lot for me...

• RockinRM, so true! I just ignore that. Let me guess, that's the 124 at Wacker and State, right? That's where it happens a lot for me...

It's happened to me there, and a couple of other places I can't remember off the top of my head. Most of them happen on the 124 though.

Here's another tip. You can get real weather in Chicago using OMSI's Real Weather feature.

Once you've loaded the map, open the in-game menu and click the weather icon.

Check the box next to Real Weather, and select the city. But wait… there aren't any American cities listed! No problem, you can type one in! So, type in KMDW. That's the ICAO code for Chicago's Midway airport, which is about 8 miles from downtown.

This seems to work with most if not all ICAO codes.

Using this method, I discovered a small bug in the temperature display. I searched a weather map looking for temperatures of at least 100°F (38°C), starting in the southwestern United States, but eventually focusing on the Middle East. I used the ICAO code ORBI (Baghdad, Iraq), where the temperature at this writing is 118°F (48°C). Yeah… triple-digit temperatures don't display correctly.

• Apologies to the moderators...this post was supposed to be part of my previous post. Pressed Submit too quickly.

@JunGRail I doubt it. This was a project he did while on vacation in Chicago from what it looks like to me. If there is to be any further development with this kind of quality, he would have to move to Chicago, haha. But I was thinking this one day too...if anything, we could see other bus models too. Take a look at this: buses housed in Kedzie and CTA (or "CTY", sorry, haha) bus lines and run numbers that are assigned to Kedzie. http://www.chicagobus.org/garages/K