OMSI2 multithreading feature and the recommended CPU for OMSI2 base game

Das Forum befindet sich im reduzierten Betrieb. Die Addon- und Supportforen bleiben weiterhin verfügbar.
Bitte beachte, dass OMSI nicht mehr weiterentwickelt wird. Ein Teil der Entwickler widmet sich inzwischen der Entwicklung eines neuen Simulators. Weitere Informationen zum LOTUS-Simulator findest Du hier.
  • Hi All,

Seeing the recommended advice CPU on Steam it is said a dual core at 2.8 Ghz.

Well I use a i7 965@3.2 Ghz quad real cores CPU and four virtual cores.

As I'm a very noob guy on the side of program coding and how this game use the multithreading stuff, I wish to know if OMSI2 get the benefit to just meet the recommended CPU feature i.e. two CPU real cores and two virtual cores eventually.

Each time I launch OMSI2, I set up through the task manager the OMSI2 priority to "above the normal" and the affinity CPU cores only to 2,3,4,5 assuming the 2 and 4 are real cores and 3-5 are the corresponding virtual cores.

Could I expect more stability for OMSI2 with this settings or am I wrong thinking enabling too much cores to treat multithreading feature could provide some conflicting situations ?!

Does OMSI2 benefit to use more two CPU cores or does it coded to use only at maximum two cores for multithreading purpose for the best stability ?

Thank you very much to help me to understand how OMSI2 handles or use multithreading features to get the best of this game.

Cheers

Gerard

• a processor of the same architecture is generally better for OMSI, if the per-Core power is better. so, if you have an i7 965@3.2 Ghz, it would scale better if you have fewer cores but the core itself is faster (e.g. higher clocked). You can't say that a 4.7 Ghz Processor is better than yours, but if you stay in the same type of processor architecture, a higher clock and fewer cores are generally better for OMSI.

• Thank you for your answer Chrizzly92.

So doing what I setup through task manager don't anything better than letting all my CPU cores doing the job whatever code programming is used by OMSI2 ?!

That's means tweaking with the task manager the priority and affinity cores don't improve anything ?

As I can understand it is better to have fewer more cores (instead only two cores as recommended) and a upper clocked CPU to get ride from conflicting multithread issues ?

Sorry I'm a bit lost to understand how OMSI2 handles and use the multithreading feature... What do the job to use multithread ? OMSI2 code program or simply the windows management ?

Cheers
    Gerard

• Well Chrizzly92, I asked this because after playing a long time OMSI2, launching new game from the main menu, swapping busses etc... randomly when driving I get struggles sometimes with totaly blank map without sceneries and closing OMSI2 then restarting again it advice me to reduce multithread feature that I don't want anymore. I wish simply get ride of this multithreading issues.

Cheers
    Gerard

• On some Systems, the Multithreading feature may lead to some problems. Mostly AMD Systems are known for that.

If you have a blank map, maybe some objects are missing.

do you have such problems if you disable the multithreading?

• Sorry I never disabled multithreading in the options even not when I get a message to try to disable multithread. If I disable multithread feature in options I get a lot lower FPS in game even if I limit them to 30 FPS. The use of multithread feature is very help full for the performance side.

My problem of blank map occurs when I play for long time, launching new game, swapping to AI busses but not always it is only randomly.

When that happens, I verify game cache files on Steam, then launch again OMSI2 and then all is running fine again. But I don't know how I can have missing textures or sceneries as I don't modify anything in the game I just use official DLC's even not any free add'ons.

For me it is a mystery how the missing files disappears of my SSD ?!

Gerard

• Quelle? Hab von sowas im Forum noch nichts gehört...

intelprozessoren können wesentlich besser mit Gleitkommaanwendungen umgehen. Weiterhin habe ich, gerade mit alten AMD Systemen bisher IMMER Probleme gehabt, die erst mit der aktuellen FX Generation erledigt waren. (Probleme gab es allerdings nur bei aktiviertem Multithreading)

@gege:
    if you run into such a problem the next time, kill omsi and copy the logfile into this thread.

• @Chrizzly92,

Yes indeed good advice, the next time I will get this problem, I will report the logfile here.

Thanks anyway for your help and advices.

Cheers
    Gerard

Sorry for my miss understood when you said :

:)

"a processor of the same architecture is generally better for OMSI, if the per-Core power is better. so, if you have an i7 965@3.2 Ghz, it would scale better if you have fewer cores but the core itself is faster (e.g. higher clocked). You can't say that a 4.7 Ghz Processor is better than yours, but if you stay in the same type of processor architecture, a higher clock and fewer cores are generally better for OMSI. "

I miss interpreted "fewer" thinking that means more... Just went to use google translator and understand better. Yes lesser CPU node must benefit to OMSI2 code program I think.
    So I will to continue to tweak with windows task manager the priority and affinity CPU's.

Cheers
    Gerard