FPS drop when using OBS Studio

Das Forum befindet sich im reduzierten Betrieb. Die Addon- und Supportforen bleiben weiterhin verfügbar.
Bitte beachte, dass OMSI nicht mehr weiterentwickelt wird. Ein Teil der Entwickler widmet sich inzwischen der Entwicklung eines neuen Simulators. Weitere Informationen zum LOTUS-Simulator findest Du hier.
  • Alrighty folks,

This has been annoying me for the better part of a few days at this point trying to troubleshoot the issue.

OMSI 2 (steam version) runs fine at around 40-100 fps when OBS Studio isn't running. The second I turn on OBS Studio the FPS drops instantly to 6-8 fps. However, the framerate doesn't return when OBS Studio is closed.

PC performance is 4% higher when using OBS Studio and OMSI 2 together, and 4% is nothing - the machine is barely above 20% on usage for any part of the system.

I am running a first generation intel core i7 (920) with 6Gigs of ram, and a GTX550TI - I can not run NVENC or the Intel equivalent so I am forced to used x264.

I have :

• reinstalled OMSI 2
    • reinstalled OBS Studio
    • Cleaned out the machine registry and otherwise with Malwarebytes and CCleaner
    • Reinstalled Windows 10

DXDiag does throw up these errors..

+++ WER1 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: AppHangTransient
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Omsi.exe
    P2: 2.2.32.0
    P3: 57db99a6
    P4: unknown
    P5: unknown
    P6: unknown
    P7: unknown
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

+++ WER2 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

+++ WER3 +++:
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Any help would be appreciated ....

• Hal

ich weiß nicht ob Du Deutsch verstehen/übersetzen kannst, aber mein Englisch ist nicht so gut um solche Sachverhalte nicht in meiner nativen Sprache zu schildern.

Ist dieses Problem mit OBS erst seit jetzt??

Auf jeden Fall ist es ganz normal, dass Deine fps einbrechen sobald Du im OMSI2 Videoaufnahme oder Streaming laufen hast.
    Die von Dir verwendete CPU ist inzwischen 10 Jahre alt, ein heutiger i7 ist in etwa doppelt so schnell.
    Ansonsten kannst Du in den Einstellungen von OBS mal schauen ob Du dort noch etwas konfigurieren kannst damit Du mehr FPS zur Verfügung hast. Zum Beispiel kann das umschalten auf eine niedrigere Auflösung (zum Beispiel 720p anstelle 1080p) schon einen solch großen FPS-Einbruch im OMSI2 verhindern.

• You don't understand that having a fps drop that is from 40-100 fps down to 7 is a huge drop when the system isn't recording or streaming. I've only opening the OBS Studio App.

The framerate doesn't return to 40-100fps after I close OBS Studio. This has nothing to do with the hardware not being able to cope. I know what my machine can, and can not do. It's been handling OMSI 2 since it's launch with varying ability to do so. Yet, it can cope with much more intense games with relative ease - GTA V, ETS2, Spintires, City Car Driving, Flight Simulator X ... all at or around the 30-60 fps mark with recording or streaming using OBS.

This drop is more than a hardware limitation, as should be clearly obvious since "PC performance is 4% higher when using OBS Studio and OMSI 2 together, and 4% is nothing - the machine is barely above 20% on usage for any part of the system."

• I understand, but i know this some times ago when i was using OMSI2 and starting Fraps to create a video i did also have a horrible fps drop.

But maybe this is another problem on your system.
    Its not normaly i think that you have drop without stream on.

But i did not know what you have to do now, sorry!

• Fraps is a program that creates uncompressed AVI's ... literally rendering frame-by-frame ... of course there will be a dip in framerate but not going from a steady 60 to 5-7 in a matter of seconds.

I can confirm that this is OBS Studio, and OMSI 2.

OMSI 2 - completely uninstalled and re-installed from steam - removed every reminant from the system.
    OBS Studio - Ditto.

OMSI 2 - Grundorf - MAN 67 (Ticket Printer) - 2006 PC settings - 120 frames stable
    OBS Studio was running in the background of this test but game capture was not initialised. The second Game Capture was initialised 5-7 frames was the result. This does not happen with any other game.

The OMSI 2 logs don't give any indication if it was a DirectX / Direct 3D issue ... but there are an awful lot of errors within the log that are all game files being "missing" - nothing that I can see that makes any kind of sense.

Maybe a Dev can find out what the issue is since this has never been an issue until now.

• Those missing files are a normal thing, it doesn't mean anything. To be honeat I highly doubt that they will resolve the issue, since OMSI2 development is dead. If you have FPS cap in OMSI2 try lifting it. I noticed that after my last Windows update (containing like a year worth of updates) setting FPS cap won't utilize CPU at all, so I ended up with below 20. With the cap at 200 (was at 33 before) I suddenly have 50+. Also make sure you are not recording on the same drive as OMSI2 is running from, because loading objects/vehicles is one of the main reasons for stuttering and low FPS.

• It could be a problem with the lack of RAM you're having. Other than Fraps, OBS processes the video files on the fly, which means it has to store the uncompressed video files in the RAM while processing. As far as I know, it does this from the start with the preview. OMSI reserves its 4 GB RAM for itself when it's started, so OBS only has another ~1,5 GB for the uncompressed video files, which probably requires OBS to write them into the swap file on your hard drive and process them from there - which slows down the process massively. That's my best guess and that's all I can give, since I've never had that problem with my i5 and 16 GB RAM.

The problem that FPS don't go up after closing OBS has also always been a problem on my end - with all games. It's mostly just a 5 FPS difference but after closing OBS you have to restart the game to get the full FPS back. I don't know why but I guess it has something to do with reserving space or CPU power, which Windows can't assign dynamically.

• Thanks guys - thats a lot more helpful.

Although, I haven't had this issue -at all- with OMSI 2 up until this point. The frames would always drop but it was never a huge drop. I can't help feeling that it's both to blame here.

I can usually record OMSI 2 at 30 fps ... but my settings have always been more geared to showing more objects. Now, I'm getting 120 fps (framerate slider at 200/all the way to the right) but the second game capture starts (not recording) the fps drops to 5-7 ... I might try with OBS old version ... See if that makes a difference.

EDIT ___

OBS Original (last updated 16 Aug 2016) has a different outcome to OBS Studio. When previewing the stream - if OMSI 2 is running the frames drop to 5-7, but the second the preview stops the frames go back to normal.

Also, OBS is showing that there's another "hooking application" trying to access acouple of the DLLs - making me wonder if OMSI 2 - itself - is trying to hook or is hooking these DLLs?

• Umm, something feels off since your OBS is hooking into DirectX 9 where it should use DirectX 11 or higher. Check if your video renderer under Settings > Advanced is set to something lower than Direct3D 11, if it is then something is wrong. You say you didn't have that problem up until now. Did you change something since the last time it worked? Installed windows updates for example?

• seemingly the DirectX 9 protocol is what OBS uses ... The advanced settings say Direct3D 11 ... So, there must be some reason that it's calling on DX 9 because even with it now working - It's still making that call.

Seemingly the problem was Windows 10. I reinstalled Windows for a second time, and it's working as normal.

• Quick update ... because it's happening again.

here's a better log file from OBS - this may be of some help this time.

FOUND THE ISSUE - DO NOT USE THE MULTI-ADAPTER COMPATIBILITY MODE!! That's what's causing the DX9 capture.