Request: Citaro E3 2D Interior1x.o3d sources

  • TL;DR: I would like to request access to the sources of Vehicles\CSB_J_MB_O530\Model\O530_E3\Interior1(A|B).o3d. While both seem to have been ported from Morphi's respective pack, I'm unsure whether Morphi or someone else holds their distribution / copyright / you-name-it rights, and that's why I'm leaving this here in the open.


    ---


    Hello,


    I've been collaborating with citaro142 on his CSB project; specifically on lighting-related aspects of his pack's Citaros. At this stage I'm still experimentally working on a solo, 2-door E3 variant under his collection.


    One particular task I've spent significant time on has been the rearrangement of the interior lights, primarily the passenger area's fluorescent light tubes, aiming to more closely reflect the typical real-world Citaro. More concretely, the goal is to have 6 truly individually controllable tubes (as opposed to alTerr's 8 in 2 groups of 4), with each having a separate and independent illumination effect on its surroundings, including as well, and as a consequence, the ability of individually becoming defunct based on factors such as the user's maintenance setting and the vehicle's age. Needless to say, it's been a nontrivial endeavor, ranging from major changes across scripts, to retexturing, and to heavy adjustments of the model and passenger cabin configuration. With all that having successfully taken place, I'm unfortunately not quite happy with the aesthetic result.


    The main object I've been having struggles with has been Model\O530_E3\Interior1A.o3d, which spans half the vehicle and needs to be illuminated by 4 tubes and the driver's light (as well as the 2x2 door spots, but let's disregard those for now). As you are all well aware, OMSI constraints the number of interior-lights per object to a maximum of 4. My "clever" (note the irony) workaround thus far has been as follows:

    • Have one interior-light for each tube, plus one per tube pair for use when both opposing tubes (e.g. both the left and right at the front) are switched on.
    • Have multiple [mesh] entries of the troublesome object, one for each attainable combination of interior-lights.
    • Set only one such mesh as [visible] at any given time, depending on which tubes are considered active at the circuit level.

    On the bright side of things this strategy works and is not as performance-invasive as I feared it would be. Unfortunately though the illumination effect is far from stunning:

    • The driver's light still "shines through" into the passenger area. Its range could be decreased to circumvent this, but then the driver would hardly see anything anymore. Alternatively lightmaps could be layed out for the apposite cockpit materials and used in favor of an interior-light entry, but I fear it would be even more challenging for someone like myself lacking rudimentary modeling skills to get right, and might lead to performance loss as well.
    • Because the pseudo-light interior-lights are out of necessity at x = 0, they don't illuminate the sides as well as their "real" counterparts do. If their range is increased, the part of the object closer to the center becomes illuminated too intensely. Regardless the approach, the observer can tell the difference between the individual (left, right) interior-lights and the single pseudo one being active, which is sub-optimal.
    • Under certain combinations of effective interior-lights, there are ugly differences in terms of overall brightness between the problematic object and its rear successor, Model\O530_E3\Interior1B.o3d, due to the different interior-lights in effect for each.

    The aforementioned reasons render a proper lighting effect practically impossible. No matter how much the interior-lights' parameters are fine-tuned, discrepancies and imperfections remain. It's like solving m equations with n < m variables.


    You might wonder: Wouldn't splitting up the object into as many pieces needed make things easier? And you would be right -- of course it would. In fact, it's the first thing I attempted before indulging in the terribly convoluted process described above. I took alTerr's original object (that's the joy of "open source" stuff!), split away the cockpit area and part of the floor, and gave the result a spin. And indeed, the effect was considerably better. But (of course there has to be a "but") the target vehicle is an E3 version, and there are differences between the O530_E3\Interior1A.o3d and alTerr's original; most notably differences in ambient brightness this time around, between the front (my split version of alTerr's original Interior1A) and rear (the E3-specific Interior1B). And I can't simply reuse alTerr's InteriorB as well to factor those differences out, because I would have to recreate the E3-specific windowline at the tail-right from scratch, which my current Blender abilities are prohibitively low to support.


    Tatra always writes that lighting in OMSI is all about being willing to reach compromises. The thing is that hardly anyone likes doing so, and I am no exception. So my request should be obvious at this point: Please grant me source access to the O530_E3\Interior1A.o3d object (ideally also its O530_E3\Interior1B.o3d counterpart). The sole thing I can offer in return, besides being appreciative, is publishing the resulting mod on a standalone and unrestricted basis sometime later on, provided citaro142 agrees.


    Thank you.


    PS: A few wip screenshots of what I've been up to are available here.